Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sausage Tortellini Soup & Rolls

Let me start by saying the credit for this soup goes entirely to Our Best Bites. But I am completely in love with it. Even my picky girls like this soup so you know it must be good.

Summer is almost here which means soup season is almost over.  But today is cold and rainy here in the Colorado mountains and it's a perfect day for soup! (In my world any day is a good soup day but rainy days especially).

Sausage Tortellini Soup

12 oz Italian sausage (or 3 links with casing removed)
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 small onion, diced (I use less)
1/2 C. Water
2 - 15oz cans chicken broth
1/2 C. Apple cider
1 - 16 can petite diced tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 C. Sliced carrots
1 tsp. died basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 medium zucchini, grated
10 oz package of cheese tortellini
2 Tbsp. dried parsley

Crumble sausage and brown in a large pot with onions and garlic. (If using link sausage remove casing). Cook until sausage is cooked. Add water, broth, cider, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil and oregano. Boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Add parsley and zucchini and and simmer 15 minutes more. Add tortellini and cook until tender (only takes maybe 5 minutes). Serve hot.

I love soup and this is definitely one of my all time favorites. Add to that my favorite dinner roll and you just about have the perfect dinner!



Lionhouse Rolls

2 C. hot water
2/3 C. dry milk
2 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 C. sugar
1/3 C. butter or shortening
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 to 5 C. Flour

Combine hot water and dry milk until milk is completely dissolved. Add yeast, sugar, shortening, egg and salt. Mix until well combined. Add 2 cups flour and mix for 2 minutes. Add 2 more cups flour and mix 2 more minutes. And remaining flour in small amounts at a time until dough is right consistency (tacky but not sticky). I usually knead the remaining flour in by hand instead of in my mixer. I get better results). Let dough rise about 1 1/2 hours until double in size. Punch down and roll out dough. Form into balls and place in greased pan. Let rise 1 1/2 more until double in size. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Depending on how big you make your rolls with depend on how many this recipe makes. I consistently make 24 with mine (9 in an 8x8" pan and 15 in a 9x13" pan).

Add your favorite salad and your meal is complete! I hope your day is warmer than mine!






1 comment:

Sally said...

That is one of our favorites also!